FAQ: I heard about a bill in the news.  How do I know if it’s state or federal legislation?

Bills introduced in the state legislature begin with either with the letters “HB” or “SB”.

Bills introduced in the United States House of Representatives are preceded by "H.R.". Bills introduced in the United States Senate are assigned sequential numbers preceded by "S.".

Under the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, all powers not granted to the federal government are reserved for the states and the people.

Any immigration laws, federal tax adjustments, national security or foreign relations issues are addressed by the federal government in Washington DC.

Most education, criminal justice, foster care, and highway legislation is addressed at the state level.

While it is the federal government’s responsibility to fund Medicaid, many of the implementation decisions, including Arkansas Works, are made at the state level.

Go Back View All FAQs