Take Your Legislator to School Month
Each fall, as Arkansas students prepare to return to the classroom, members of the General Assembly reach out to their local school districts in an effort to build better communication between educators and legislators.
- 1054 — Total number of schools in Arkansas
- 238 — School Districts
- 479,432 — K-12 Student Enrollment
- 33,399 — Number of Teachers
- Allow districts to showcase their success
- Allow faculty & staff to discuss challenges
- Find Solutions
HCR1008 encourages public school districts to plan special events with their local legislators, such as:
- Allowing legislators to visit classrooms
- Inviting legislators to read to students or present as guest lecturers
- Hold school-sponsored panel discussions in which administrators, teachers, and students discuss issues facing their schools
Find the Legislators Representing Your School District
The Arkansas School Board Association's website provides phone numbers & active emails to:
- Arkansas State Representatives
- Arkansas State Senators
- Education Committee Members
- Judiciary Committee Members
- Revenue & Taxation Committee Members
- State Agencies & Government Affairs Committee Members.
In the 2015 Regular Session, the Arkansas General Assembly passed HCR1008, the resolution designating September as annual “Take Your Legislator to School Month”. This bipartisan initiative was motivated by a need for members of the General Assembly to fully understand the issues and challenges facing public schools in their districts, as well as the innovative solutions our educators are developing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bills are introduced every session that began when an Arkansan approached their legislator.
In fact, some laws even began as ideas from students. This video shows a recent example:
Test your knowledge of the Arkansas General Assembly.View
Celebrate Black History Month 2022 and learn about the former and current members of the Arkansas Legislature who are paving the way for future generations.View
Little Rock, Arkansas (August 31, 2020) –As school policies may limit visitors this year, the Arkansas House of Representatives is finding alternate w...
Arkansas Legislators to Participate in 4th Annual "Take Your Legislator to School Month"See full News ReleaseLittle Rock, Arkansas (August 8, 2018) –...
NEWS RELEASE For more informationCecillea Pond-Mayo (501) email@example.com ARKANSAS LEGISLATORS TO PARTICIPATE I...
Arkansas Legislators to Participate in 3rd Annual "Take Your Legislator to School Month"See full News ReleaseLittle Rock, Arkansas (August 15, 2017) –...
As Arkansas students prepare to return to the classroom, members of the 90th General Assembly are reaching out to their local school districts in an e...